Slovak men of Torrington gathered themselves into the St. Joseph Society, a chapter of the First Catholic Slovak Union of America. At first, Torrington Slovaks found their spiritual home at St. Francis church, Torrington. Men of the St. Joseph Society purchased land for a church, aided by the wise counsel of Father Matthew Jankola of SS. Cyril and Methodius Church, Bridgeport. On June 15, 1910, Bishop John J. Nilan appointed Father Gaspar Panik as first pastor of the newly established Sacred Heart. Initially, the recently ordained priest used St. Francis Chapel and later St. Peter Church basement for his congregation. Slovak enthusiasm soon resulted in the dedication of Sacred Heart Church basement by Bishop Nilan on September 3, 1911. On May 30, 1923, Bishop Nilan dedicated the parochial school, which was staffed by the Sisters of SS. Cyril and Methodius. The school closed in 1982.
116 Grove Street, Torrington CT 06790-5047
Telephone: 860-482-8246 Fax: 860-489-4070
Deanery: Litchfield | Vicariate: Waterbury